Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Looking for ideas/solutions

I may have asked this before; if so, apologies but if I did ask I didn't
get solutions that worked for me.

I need to build a pair of sofa tables to wrap around a sectional; ie, the
tables will be at right angles to each other. The distance along the long
wing of the sectional is ten feet. I plan to make the tables about 16" wide
and 28" tall.

My problem lies in where the tables will meet..they will have to be moved
occasionally for cleaning/whatever so I need for them to be firmly joined
but easily separated. I'm thinking of reducing the length of the tables
themselves by 16" each and using a third piece at the juncture, 16" square
and full width sides rather than separate legs (like a cabinet), but how to
hook the whole works together?

I could, of course, simply screw each long table to the 16" square one but
I'm looking for a more elegant way...one that doesn't make holes in the
nice, expensive mahogany I'll be using. I also thought of putting a bracket
on the 16" square table - I don't mind marring it - that would hook under
the adjacent end rails of the long tables; with that scenario, each long
table would only have legs at the outboard end. That could work but would
leave the inboard end of the long tables unsupported when they are
unattached; still, that's the best solution I've come up with yet.

Other ideas?

--

dadiOH