Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default OT Tire pressure sensors

On 10/24/2013 08:22 AM, Tegger wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

I was under the impression the sensor was viewing a profile of the
tire.

All the sensor does is detect the absolute pressure inside the tire; it
doesn't care about anything else.

Some types of sensors are unique to each tire, and communicate with a
receiver mounted on the body near that tire, which then talks to the TPMS
computer. Other types communicate directly with the TPMS computer, meaning
the computer doesn't know which tire is low, and you need to check all
four.

Typically you can also get temperature information from the sensors.
However some (most) vehicles do not present the information to the
driver. e.g. while the sensors are reasonably accurate my old company
car (GM) would only display pressure information and my current BMW
dumbs it down even more and just displays a green/yellow/red indication
on a graphic.

The "unique sensor" type seems to be found mostly on vehicles marketed as
higher-end.

They're not really unique, but when buying replacements there are
different models that communicate at different frequencies.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel