Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 09:05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Bill
writes

While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

Aren't you allowed to replace the RCD with a 100mA one in these
circumstances?

No now. There may have been times in the past where that was appropriate
- but only where the RCD was there to protect the circuit and reduce
fire risk, not if its purpose was shock protection.

That would be cheaper than replacing the existing RCD
and all the breakers.

It would only be fixing a symptom rather than the actual problem. It
would also mean you no longer have adequate shock protection on the
circuits that really need it.

--
Cheers,

John.