Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , charles
writes
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

[Snip]

Is your CU tidy inside?

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give
you more space.

The trouble with replacing the enclosure is that you have the incoming live
& neutral to deal with. You can only isolate them by removing the
"compnay" fuse. Years ago, before 'privatisation', I needed to repace my
CU and arranged for someone to come and remove the company fuse. I said to
him that I estimated it was a two hours job, if he came back and and
reconnected me then, I could put the kettle on. He came back as suggested.
Would that work these days?

Ah ha! There was some forward planning here, an unusual event in this
house, as the CU is about 4m away from the meter and boards fuse, there
is a 100A fused switch near to the meter so that I can isolate the CU.
Plus the later addition of the generator transfer switch also gives the
same option a bit closer to the CU.

About 10 years ago my parents had a serious failure in their CU that
meant it had to be replaced. I pulled the boards fuse and then phoned
them afterwards to let them know why and to ask for it to be re-sealed.
Despite many meter readers visits, so it must have been seen, it is
still not sealed again.

--
Bill