Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default OT Tire pressure sensors

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 19:50:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/23/2013 6:48 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Anyone think those are a money saving devices? I just learned that
the sensors in tires should be replaced every time you buy tires and
they are over 40 bucks per tire.

The cost would seem to outweigh any savings from preventing any
improper tire wear.

"Money saving?" for a passenger vehicle? No, not really unless one paid
no attention otherwise it's possible. They are a safety feature that is
worthwhile imo; again if paid attention to when indicate low pressure.
For commercial I think there's no question of "yes" than can easily be
cost effective...

Where did you hear they need to be replaced every tire change? I've
vehicles well over 10 yo with them and have never replaced a single one
and they still check out w/ a gauge.

This came as second hand info from my sister.

The firmware has to be reset for a reference point after one has been
off the rim but that's just mashing a couple of buttons on the control
panel--just how depends on the vehicle, of course.