Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heaters nearly FILLED with CALCIUM.

In article ,
David L. Martel wrote:
Gunn,

Hundreds of pounds weekly? I use about 40 lbs every couple of months. I
live alone.
No one I know discharges their recharge brine and rinsings into the
septic system. The discharge line is usually linked with the washing machine
discharge line, which goes to a drainage ditch. I've watched the vegetation
at my discharge site. It's not been affected by 20 yrs of salty discharge.
I'm surprised by this.

When we bought our house, it had a septic tank. The washing machine
discharged into a sump in the basement, and the greywater was pumped
up and out into the septic tank. We'd catch hell for discharging
it into a drainage ditch, which would run untreated into the Great
Lakes via the Huron River. Plus, I'd be afraid that the line would
freeze in the winter.

We added a softener. For the year that I had a septic tank and
a water softener, I discharged my recharge brine into a sump shared
by the washing machine. Granted, a year isn't very long.

(Then we decided that the well was too much bother; it was
sulfurous. We hooked up to municipal water and sewer. It was
expensive to do, and the ongoing bills make me grit my teeth
every time I pay them, but we consider it well worth it. But I
digress.)

Cindy Hamilton