Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Manual drum deheader

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:36:41 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Stumpy wrote:
However, note the bad reviews!

I finally cut open a couple of barrels. Pain in the ass.

The Northern Tool product functioned well, but only was easy to
use if you
advanced it ~1/2" on each stroke. On a 55gal drum with 6'
circumference that is ~144 strokes. Loosening the knurled knob to
move to the new position and then retightening before the stroke
made this a slow operation.

Reminded me of using a Russian can opener to get into an surplus
ammo can.

I use either a torch..or a Milwaukee Sawzall . Once you cut a slot
with a torch or a drill..it goes pretty quickly.

Gunner

Woosies! You take a 18" pipe wrench and an 8# hammer. You put the
wrench jaw on the inside top of the lid, handle pointing outward. You hit
it a couple of times until it punctures the top. You move
over just enough to keep your cut going. You repeat until the top
falls out. Do I have to tell you everything?

That's the way we used to do it in the oilfield.

If you were a real neat freak, you would lay the barrel down, and
pound the ragged edge flat. But, if a guy was real good at it, that
would not be necessary, as the finished edge would be machine
smooth. ;-) Steve

Hah!

I was out shooting 7.62x54r in a Mosin-Nagant with a steel buttplate
for the first time this weekend - may never swing a hammer again.

Dunno if they're even still on the market , but years ago it was suggested
to stick a kotex in your jacket as padding . I was sighting in my
muzzleloader a couple of weeks ago and I'm as skinny as a rail - it was
beating my shoulder up pretty badly . So I folded up a sweatshirt and draped
it over my shoulder . Worked great .
On the drum beheading , I used an air hammer with the chisel blade like
they use in body shops . Noisy as it gets , but minimal effort and quick too
.

7' of det cord works well.
---

Gerry :-)}