Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

Default Why no overflow on Trailer Home bathtubs

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:10:39 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

My house was built in the early 1950's. It still has the original tub
with overflow. That overflow has always kept up with the water flow.
This is on a water supply with 60 pounds of pressure.

Pressure and flow are two different things. For example, a pressure washer
uses very high pressure, but the water flow is mimimal.

It's sort of like the difference between Voltage and Current in
electricity.

It's like the combination of voltage and current being power (wattage
or whatever) that actually matters. Combination of flow and pressure
gets the job done.

Considering the pipes that supply the water are 1/2", and the
overflow is 1-1/4" pipe, there is no reason it should not keep up.

Every overflow I have seen is covered with some kind of trim cover. While
the pipe behind it may be 1-1/4", the opening to that pipe is just a small
opening at the bottom of the trim cover.

Also, with 1/2" lines for hot AND cold supplies, you can dump a lot of
water in a tub in a hurry.

It's great your overflow can keep up with the supply. None of our homes
ever could (even our brand new home with fresh clean pipes).

In any case, I would never turn on a tub faucet and walk away.
That's like turning on the stove and walking away.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com