Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cskrimshire@gmail.com is offline

Default Solid wood vs. engineered wood floors

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:13:59 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All,

I know this topic has been fairly well covered in the past, but I'd be interested in an up-to-date round up of consensus from anyone who's been in this debate in recent times, as I am soon to be making a decision.

As far as I can tell there is little to choose between them from the point of view of look and wear. Two important factors seem to be (a) solid wood is more likely to bow (but shouldn't be an issue if the quality is good) - engineered wood is more stable, (b) engineered wood seems to be typically a bit more expensive. I'm aware that thickness of veneer is important, and would be going for at least 5mm. Also, engineered wood is preferable over UFH - though this is now irrelevant to my situation as I've decided against this.

Are there any other things to be borne in mind?

Cheers.

Chris

I could have added that we will probably want 150 mm width. Another question is 'what are peoples' experiences with fitting-only of self-purchased boards? My local flooring shop want £20/m2 for laying.