Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scion[_2_] Scion[_2_] is offline

Default Servicing your own gas boiler

Fredxx put finger to keyboard:

On 21/10/2013 17:05, Onetap wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2013 3:27:04 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Yes... it uses the word "competent" without defining it elsewhere in
the

statute.

Not as a definition of the word. However, 3 (3) has a requirement for
employed or self-employed gas fitters to be a ".....a member of a class
of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety
Executive".

The approved class of persons was Corgi and is now GasSafe. You need to
pass their tests to join, which is a demonstration of competence.

3 (3) above and the "class of persons" criteria applies only to
employers. employees and the self-employed.

Clause 3.(1) applies to everyone, including DIYers; ( No person shall
carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting ............unless he
is competent to do so).

Correct, DIYers can be competant.

As a colleague of mine remarked, "I'd get someone in to do it, but I want
it done properly."