Posted to uk.d-i-y
MrWeld MrWeld is offline

Default Nuclear Power

On 21/10/2013 19:00, DerbyBorn wrote:
I wonder how much of the cost (and reliability risk) is derived from such
powerstations being somewhat developmental and unique.
If there was a modular - proven design, then it would be cheaper, more
serviceable and likely to be more reliable.

I'm loosely connected to some of the decommissioning projects for the
existing nuclear power stations. From what I've heard, there is an
element of over-staffing and make-work in at least some areas, which
might push up costs. I suspect it's easier to maintain a relaxed pace of
work when you're inside an secure facility where outside scrutiny is
difficult, if only for security reasons.