Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Servicing your own gas boiler

Onetap wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2013 9:32:23 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/10/2013 19:56, Onetap wrote:

On Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:42:47 PM UTC+1, Jon Parker wrote:

Hello folks,

How much (if any) buggering about is one allowed to do to one's own gas boiler?

You must be competent to do the work.

Asking on a DIY forum would suggest that you're not.

This kind of answer tends to get on my tits a bit...

Even if we ignore the basic point that one of the ways we gain

competence to do anything is by asking sensible questions. The question

was not "am I competent". but "am I allowed"...

There's no point in having a paddy at me about it, I just told him what the law says, and for which you've kindly posted the relevant statutes.

Was I wrong?

The law only requires one to be competent.
So, the question is, is he competent if he has never done the job before?

Every single competant person started out not having done this job before.
I work on the principal that if someone else can do it I can.

A recent instance ,I am not a mechanic, I am not an air con technition,
but I just replaced the condensor in a 316i BMW including the vacuum and
then regas which is not for the faint hearted.
Just look at this mess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9clefzv645t4g8z/bmw%20007.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1aep9eima1qbp34/bmw%20055.jpg

It is all back together and working now, but working on your outlook on
DIY I should not have attempted it.

It is akin to doing a car repair equipped with a Haynes book; you only know if it was within your abilities if you complete it without cocking it up.

If there is a subsequent gas leak or explosion that can be traced to defective workmanship, then he wasn't competent.