Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Servicing your own gas boiler

On 22/10/2013 00:25, Rick Hughes wrote:

My concern would be that would become irrelevant if it went wrong, they
would say you were not certified to do the work ... and professional
body certification is the accepted way of proving competence.

I've done a smidge of gas work, and it's not gone wrong. I made sure it
wouldn't by testing it - I didn't want to just guess.

As I said to Peter, this stuff isn't magic. It's not that hard to do
appropriate testing to demonstrate that it's not going to go wrong as a
result of what you've done.

Also disagree with logic "Ultimately, when doing work for yourself, the
person that you need to convince of competence is yourself " at some
point someone else may own that house and therefore your work is then no
longer for yourself.

Their problem. When buying a house you take on all the crap which comes
with it - and get professional advice if you're worried.

Your standards don't count .... it's what is the accepted standards ...
eg GasSafe & Corgi registrtaion.

It appears that the certification isn't required on selling a house, ie
it doesn't matter whose standards one is using.