Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default "Do not combine LED light bulbs and filament bulbs."

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:20:39 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 20/10/2013 09:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, most of this is just protecting their backs. If the fitting is
enclosed then the filament bulbs can overheat the electronics of the other
bulb of course, merely due to proximity and the enclosed design. I have also
noticed that some cfls do not like being in cold places like sheds etc, and
can be dim or simply not strike at all. as for LEDs I don't know enough
about how their power supply orks to make an educated guess, but I'd imagine
it might be that much i like cfls the electronics get condensation if
outside and can fail due to that.

Unless you need "always on" outside lights there is little point in
using CFLs for that application. Filament lamps give instant on at any
temperature, and good light output. In applications where the total run
time per year is relatively low, then the cost of running them becomes
far less significant.

The problem I find is failure due to wind vibration of the fitting.
I have three spiral CFLs in the coach lamps outside, they have
reasonable switch-on brightness and CFLs outside seem to last forever.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%