Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
scritch scritch is offline

Default What species wood cheaply available in San Francisco in the 1920's?

On 10/12/2013 7:15 PM, Mac Davis wrote:
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:17:57 -0700, scritch
wrote:
I was told that they took out several oak groves on the San Francisco
Peninsula....
Oak was the preferred wood when strenghth was required....

Thanks all for the advice.

And as far as the oak, there is oak and there is oak. Most of the oak
in the Bay Area is the local version of "live" oak, and while hard, is
almost impossible to make lumber out of. It twists, cups, splits,
checks, etc. Better for firewood.

I would have tried to get some reclaimed redwood (4 x 10 x 12 feet!)
from my brother, but the guy who was storing it at my brother's house
took it back to make a floor for a tree house. What a waste. At least
I got one piece last year to make a two pieces of furniture from.

scritch