Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Household goods affordability

On 10/19/2013 10:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:33:49 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

premium for my coverage dropped when I hit 65 and BC&BS became my
supplemental, I was now paying full price across the board. However, I
paid no more nor any less than the employer/employee were paying for
like coverage.

And, yeah, premiums are steep. Spending about $1,600 month for my
coverage plus the ~$100.mo for Medicare B

Is that $1600 for both of you? The supplement for Medicare should be
in the $200 to $250 range for just you.

I have Medicare and a supplement and it is less than $700 for the two
of us and it is virtually 100% coverage on anything but some
prescription co-pays.

Afraid so... She has the full-boat (as do I) including dental and
prescription ($7.50 co pay on a 90 day supply). We are in the Chicago
Metro area that doesn't help, I don't think, premium-wise.

Thru BC/BS my "supplemental coverage is a lot lower than her full
coverage but still high when you compare it with other supplemental
policies.

She goes on Medicare 2nd quarter of 2014 and I will be dropping Bc/BS
and picking up supplemental for both of us. I managed my late father's
affairs for several years before he passed. He had Medicare A &B and a
premium supplemental plan through AARP written by United Healthcare. He
paid very little out of pocket all things considered and he had
significant medical issues those last several years. Think his premium
was around $300/mo for United Healthcare. Last I checked (a year or two
back) premium had not increased by very much at all.

So, all in all, barring a total screwing by Obummercare's
implementation, I'm hoping to cut my premium by about half next year.
Fingers are crossed.