Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Household goods affordability

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:33:49 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

True dat! My case appears somewhat identical to Tony's. As a retiree,
I was able to keep my BC&BS Preferred provider coverage and did so.
Took a huge hit when I turned 65 and went on Medicare and BC&BS became
my "Supplemental" What happened was BC&BS under terms of the policy in
effect for my group assumes that Part A & B are in effect. My wife, not
yet of age for Medicare is still covered completely AND, I forgot, the
subsidy paid by my employer ends when I hit 65. So even though the
premium for my coverage dropped when I hit 65 and BC&BS became my
supplemental, I was now paying full price across the board. However, I
paid no more nor any less than the employer/employee were paying for
like coverage.

And, yeah, premiums are steep. Spending about $1,600 month for my
coverage plus the ~$100.mo for Medicare B

Is that $1600 for both of you? The supplement for Medicare should be
in the $200 to $250 range for just you.

I have Medicare and a supplement and it is less than $700 for the two
of us and it is virtually 100% coverage on anything but some
prescription co-pays.