Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Peening a weld

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 05:39:41 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:12:42 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have been reading about stress relief and general metalworking. If a person wanted to prevent stress cracks in somethign like a t bucket frame, is it a good idea to peen weld areas? Can an air operated needle descaler work? Is hand peening possible?

If it is better to not grind a weld, is there a way to make a weld "appear" better? What I am getting at is the case of flux core mig welding. It is hard at least for me to make it appear nice looking.

Most people can do 2 kinds of welds with a wire-feed welder - a
pretty one that doesn't hold, or an ugly one that does.. Oh, there is
the third, even more common one - the UGLY one that doesn't hold.

Takes a bit of know-how and a lot of practice to make a smooth and
solid weld with a wire-feed welder.