Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opened laptop battery to replace lithium ion cells (Lenovo X61 tablet PC) -- Where do I get replacement battery cells?

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 04:43:55 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:16:56 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 01:44:01 +0000, Timsta

wrote:

replying to JoeSchmoe, Timsta wrote:

nospamjoeschmoe wrote:

Have you ever opened up your laptop battery to replace the lithium ion

cells inside (if so, I could use the help as I'm stuck).

Here are the pictures of the operation on a Lenovo X61 tablet PC 8-cell

4500 amp-hour battery kidney-transplant operation.

The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part

numbers:

- FRU 42T4507

- ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of:

- cylinders BCM 3A6 72653

- rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

Dear Joe I'd like Answers to the same Problem!

Timsta,

I'm sure JoeSchmoe would be glad to help but I don't think he spends

much time here anymore. In fact we haven't seen him since he posted

his original message... OVER THREE FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO!

Pay attention.

But Mr T apparently has the same problem. When I did
a similar thing with my Ni Cad driver/drill battery pack
I found the batteries on Ebay. Also one would think googling
rebuilding Lenovo battery pack, etc might produce results.

NiCds are usually standard cells packaged in a proprietary housing.
LiIon cells themselves are usually proprietary. It's dangerous
replacing them with cells that aren't identical to the originals. Just
buy the whole assembly. They're usually available from aftermarket
sources for about a third of what Lenovo wants. Sometimes there are
issues with the laptop not recognizing the chip in the battery but a
reputable source will help.