Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default What type of wire and How to hang a heavy mirror?

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 07:59:49 -0700, wrote:

My friend is an interior designer and deals with hanging a lot of the
time, she made a blogposts and I came across this and though it might
help you (or anyone looking for more info on hanging)

https://sorayainteriors.co.uk/conten...ve-wall-mirror

Hopefully this helps!

On Sunday, 1 October 2006 20:57:46 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi,

My question is 2 fold (hence the weird framing of it!)
...snip...because AIOE doesn't like quoting lines...
Thanks in advance for your help!
manu

to Joanne, thanks for the URL and info

to the OP, [music group]

wires purchaseable at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes

run through the eye loop holes TWICE, if possible. and twist together for
at least six inches with more than 4 twists per inch. Gently, else sharp
edges can cut into the wire, weakening it.

How long? that gets a bit tricky, too long and you can see the problem,
too short and after you hang the mirror the tension pulling can rip out
the eyelets, seriously.

My rule of thumb is never less than 30 degrees and try to be more like 45
degrees, which is equal up for distance across. like the diagonal line on
a square box, equal up for equal sideways.

Next I have always successfully used the studs, although they NEVER line
up where they should be, but using two 'hook' type structures on the wall
and close enough to where the eyelets on the mirror are, should be ok.
AFTER hanging, level the mirror by sliding a bit from side to side [I
know, the mirror doesn't quite end up where you wanted it, but can be
close enough to work out] and use a thin foam backing tape along the lower
backside of the mirror. The friction will keep the mirror in place
although all the 'hanging' stuff behind the mirror is wonky because
nothing ever lines up right.

And, for cleaning the mirror? Get a spray bottle, fill with distilled
water, simply spray the mirror, squeegee off the water, repeat and DONE.
W'ere talking less than 40 seconds to clean a splattered bathroom mirror.
Excess water bother you? Buy CHEAP paper towels to blot up excess water,
don't even wipe out in the middle, unless absolutely have to. Why cheap?
because
expensive' towels have additives that will sreak the surface! How to check
to see if there are additives in your towels. Soak it in bleach, if gets
HOT towel has additives. Example, Bounty will almost burn you.