Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Peening a weld

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 07:42:18 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[troll info snipped]

Switch to gas and learn to weld.

I broke a new knife yesterday in an attempt to get the press-fit end
off. (BUDK $10 M-16 replica bayo) It was welded on, I found out
later. Not to worry. I fired up the old HFT tigger and listened to
it purr at me for about 20 seconds per side and the tang is now firmly
back in place. It passes the drop test and hand bend/break test.
I sure love that little machine. It makes me look like a real weldor.
The copper plated rod is great for keeping me from sticking the
electrode to the workpiece, too. (scratch-start, not HF) I should
probably invest in some decent rod. Got any suggestions for general
repair work?

I also found some extra 3/16" steel plate and will cut and weld on
some extra beef to the 1/2-width tang this time, then ensure that it
is annealed before attaching it to the shaft of a spear I'm toying
with. How does generic steel weld to stainless knife stock? I guess
I'll find out later today.

I apologize to everyone for the on-topic post. I'll self-flagellate
in atonement later.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt