Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Akeda dovetail bushing damaged

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:42:21 PM UTC-7, Len wrote:
I have been using an Akeda dovetail jig and just ruined the guide bushing.. It is marked 0.438", which is the exterior diameter. I can pay $25 ( 1/2 is shipping) or use an old Porter Cable bushing which varies about .002 to .003 in diameter as you go around it with a micrometer.

I find it hard to believe that that .002" variation would be a problem. Anybody had this experience and how did you resolve it.

Thanks

Len

Well, 0.438" = 7/16" (0.4375) so you could get a whole set of bushings, including a 7/16 bushing from grizzly for $30.

Regardless I doubt 2-3 thou are going to hurt a wood dovetail joint. Honestly there is probably 5 thou tolerance when they make that cheap bushing. Does the 0.438 show exact. I think you could wear off a few thou with minimal usage.