Swingman

Default Tip 'O the Month,for Drawer Bottom Dadoes

"Leon" wrote in message ...

"Swingman" wrote in message

If I understand you correctly ... If you cut the drawer bottom grooves

last,
referencing the same edge of each piece, after first verifying the fit

of
the dovetails, you won't have this problem.

I think the problem is that his sides and fronts do not align properly at
the corners. One is higher than the other when test fitted. If this is

in
fact the problem, the bottoms dados will not align correctly regardless of
when they are cut. The tops and bottoms of all pieces need to be the same
height in the corners for the dados to align correctly also.

That's very true ... however, my "fitting and tweaking" of the drawer parts
comes into play _before_ cutting the drawer bottom grooves, and before
glue-up. I generally use a low angle block plane for this step, both top and
bottom with a dry fit, and very occasionally have to resort to the
stationary belt sander. Once properly done, a reference edge should be
available for aligning the grooves, whether cut on the router or table saw.

I've got to admit that I've rarely had the subject problem arise (made close
to hundred drawers last year alone) ... that may come from paying particular
attention to the orientation of the router when cutting the dovetails, and
likely the Leigh Jig may also mitigate the problem to some extent.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04