Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Peening a weld

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:34:46 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:12:42 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have been reading about stress relief and general metalworking.
If a person wanted to prevent stress cracks in somethign like a t
bucket frame, is it a good idea to peen weld areas? Can an air
operated needle descaler work? Is hand peening possible?

I was considering some sort of free plans on the internet such as
these:
http://www.tbucketplans.com/the-youn...t-frame-plans/

I think it is made of 2x3 rectangular tubing.

One probalem I have is I can "farm weld". I have a bobcat ac welder
but admittently not real good with stick. I have a Hobart 110 mig
with flux core capability and gas. I have a bottle of argon/co2
also. Worried the little 110v wont be adequate.

Get a tank of plain jane Co2 and use that. It will increase the
apparent amperage of your little 110 welder by at least ..at least
25%. Co2 burns hotter and of course deeper than C25 by a significant
amount.

And Co2 is a hell of a lot cheaper than C25 as well. The weld may not
be as "pretty" as a C25 or Argon only weld..but it will be nice and
deep.

Its been my experience..(take it for what thats worth..shrug) ..that
if your 110 welder gives you a 90 amp output..running Co2 will take
that up past 125-130 amps..minimum.

Gunner

Actually Gunner , my experience has been that while CO2 burns hotter than
C25 , flux core burns hotter than either . Welds look like crap though , so
do multipass and grind/flap wheel smooth .
FWIW stryped , IMO your plan to try TIG with your bobcat power supply is
only going to cost you money and cause frustration . It AIN'T as easy as it
looks , even with a "real" TIG machine . I bought one recently , and I
learned just how difficult it really is .
--
Snag