Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default Threading in a turret lathe

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I have a W&S #2 and I need to thread the stem on an End Brush (see link) to
1/4-20. The stem is about 1" long.

I guess I need a Geometric Die Head. I know little about them or other
methods. What size head should I be looking for? What inserts do I want?
Is there one on someone's shelf gathering dust?

I need to do about 200/hr. The threading will be done before the cup is
filled with wire.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEILER-10028...em33817d 2fa6

5/16 or 9/16 goemetric die head will do the job just fine. You want D-Style
self opening. Chasers are plentifull and cheap on ebay, new ones can be had
for 9.00 plus shipping. Do not buy used chasers, most have been sharpened
to thier limit and are worn out. You can expect to spend anywhere from
$25.00
to $100.00 for a die head. The chasers can be resharpened many times on
a surface grinder, geometric made several types of fixtures just for
sharpening.

You can download a old geomeric manual he

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...w=1up;seq=5 9

Be advised geometric is out of bussines. Repairs and support is
available from 3rd party vendors only.

Best Regards
Tom.
--