Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Household goods affordability

On 10/13/2013 9:46 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/13/13 12:11 AM, Bob F wrote:
Dean Hoffman" wrote:
According to the Carpe Diem site one had to work 885 hours in 1959
to earn the same goods as one can earn working 170 hours in 2013.

More he http://tinyurl.com/lrq8suo

One would work about 28 hours to buy a gas stove in 2013 compared to
almost 91 hours in 1959. He has ten other examples of decreasing
work hours needed to buy given items.

If only one could find a job. What did we export then? What do we
export now?
Why don't we have decent jobs - because we exported all the
manufacturing.

And how many hours did we have to work then and now to buy our current
largest
manufactured export - gasoline and diesel fuel?

When nobody can get a middle class job, who benefits by low prices?

Some information here
http://tinyurl.com/6xo3y6 for gas prices.
Gas was the equivalent of $3.87 in 1918, $3.51 in 2013. The lowest
equivalent price was $1.46 in 1998.

When I was in college I was paying 22 cents a gallon for regular but the
dollar was worth more back then. Minimum wage was $1.60/hr too. o_O

TDD