Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Household goods affordability

On 10/13/2013 2:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:21:12 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 10/13/13 08:09 am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Lucky you. College grads are having trouble find anything much better than
minimum wage jobs, if that.

Much of the problem is the College Grad themselves. Are they
Mechanical engineers? Biologists? No, many of them took 5th Century
Greek sculpture as a major and wonder why they can't find a job.

But not so many years ago employers were telling young people, "We don't
care what kind of degree you have: the mere fact that you have completed
college makes you a more desirable employee."

Perce

There is probably some truth to that, but it is not working. If you
earned a college degree, you know how to learn, have some ambition,
and I can train you to do my job. I, OTOH, will not hire you for a
minimum wage low skill job if you have not finished high school. The
kids that drop out are also losers in the workplace. Poor attendance,
poor work habits, etc. (exceptions are those older than 40 or so)

Many good jobs do not require a degree but trade school. I know a guy
having a hard time finding a HVAC tech for $22 an hour. I have five
supervisors, only one with a degree. If I ranked them in order, he is
probably #4 of 5. The one ranked #1 has the least education, but the
most talent for what we do. And a $65k income.

I wonder if it is too easy to get a college degree these days and
aside from specialized skills, even needed. Engineers, doctors,
pharmacists all need a lot of education, but a degree does not make
you a better middle manager, warehouse supervisor, trucking terminal
manager, and the like.

My son has some schooling, but not a degree. He has some talent in the
medical field (where he makes his living) and was asked if he'd like
to be a doctor or surgeon. His reply, "I don't want to take a pay
cut"

I gave up on corporate America in the early 1980's due to Affirmative
Action where women and minorities were promoted all around me and they
couldn't do the job but I could. They didn't want to pay for my skills
so I went out on my own and they had to call me when the morons couldn't
make anything work. I did take an overseas job for The SDI program but
that wasn't permanent. I do a lot of contract labor when I can but I
don't have to tolerate ANY male bovine droppings. I can fire customers
and have done so when they become troublesome and start to believe I'm
their employee. Me and JH will often be the last people called in to
fix a problem and when we ask, "Why didn't you call us first?" the
answer is often, "You charge too much." I suppose the lack of math
comprehension is due to government school education where management
will pay three different companies $65/hr for a service call who can't
fix it right rather than call us for $85/hr to fix it right the first
trip. I know a guy who spent $100.00, $10.00 at a time trying to get an
inkjet cartridge refilled rather than pay $30.00 for a remanufactured
cartridge. The lack of understanding of simple math among the citizenry
drives me nuts. o_O

TDD