Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Household goods affordability

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 17:40:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 6:40:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 12:25:56 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:31:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 23:46:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:15:48 -0500, Dean Hoffman

" wrote:

According to the Carpe Diem site one had to work 885 hours in 1959

to earn the same goods as one can earn working 170 hours in 2013.

More he http://tinyurl.com/lrq8suo

One would work about 28 hours to buy a gas stove in 2013 compared to

almost 91 hours in 1959. He has ten other examples of decreasing work

hours needed to buy given items.

Thanks for posting that. I've often used the "how many hours" in

discussions. Prices on many goods have come down and are of better

quality. Such as the color TV. I also recall paying $5 for a really

good white dress shirt (made in USA) in the early 1960's. Not as good

quality, but you can get shirts for $15 at discount stores (made in

some third world country) .

And the good quality, american dress shirt is about $60, more or

less.

What American dress shirts for $60? I haven't seen one in years.

The typical quality dress shirt made overseas retails for $45 - $60.

I buy them for $15-$30, tops. Wait until they're on sale. In the

late Winter, it's pretty easy to find long-sleeved shirts (all I wear)

at a very good price. Last year I found a bunch of nice Oxfords for

about $20.

Are these made in America or made overseas? Made overseas, I
agree you can find them at those prices on sale. But at the large
dept stores that typically have the big sales,

Yes, overseas. They're $60 normally.

I haven't seen a made in America dress shirt in years. Not that I specifically
went looking for one, but I sure haven't noticed any. I would
think there are still some manufacturers left, but I bet they
are expensive.

Only custom made, AFAIK. You aren't getting one for $60, either. I
knew a woman who had to have her shirts custom made because of her
sleeve length and collar size (*long* and small). She wore men's
custom-made shirts because it would have cost a bloody fortune to have
them made for a woman (costs a bunch to have the buttons sewn on the
other side, ya' know). They were still well over $100 each. That was
over 20 years ago.