Greywolf

Default Tip 'O the Month,for Drawer Bottom Dadoes

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in message
If you don't make drawers then stop right here and look at the next

person's
post.

Presently, I am in the drawer building mode. It seems no matter how

careful
I am with cutting the drawer parts, when I assemble the drawers after
cutting the dovetails(using jig) the sides don't match up with the front.
If I use the top side of the drawer parts as reference, when I cut the
dadoes for the bottom, the dadoes on the sides sometimes don't match up

with
the front dado. The problem is worsened if you need to do rabbeted, half
blind dadoes. If you like your drawer bottoms snug, and the dadoes don't
match you're in doodo. In the past, my quick fix is just to plane(or

chisel)
a little or widen the dado which results in lots of slop in the fit. I
tried something else that seems to work ....I use hot glue to make up the
slight difference in the reference surfaces(some rasping may be required)
and then cut the dado. Maybe this pictures will help.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/drawergoofix.jpg

Larry

How about cutting the dadoes after making the dovetails? That seems to work
fine.

Pat