Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_3_] basilisk[_3_] is offline

Default power feeds

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:49:12 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

"basilisk" wrote in message

That is in my mind plenty of work to justify buying a really nice heavy
duty power feeder and with the need for production work later on,
something you want ever regret.

That is where I am in my thinking.

All the feeders I have used were either three or four wheel models,
with table saw and shaper work any number of wheels and hp will work
fine. Resawing and jointer work will benefit from having the longest
body, most wheels and as much horsepower as you want to invest in.

That is the kind of insight I was seeking....

One of the great benifits to power feeders is the fact that feather
boards, holdovers, holddowns and all such similar devices are not
needed, properly set the feeder will take care of all these functions.

This is high on my list of reasons for pursuing power feeders... No
matter what I do on the shaper I cannot help but think that the
consistency of feeding the stock with electrons vs. with meat would lead
to better and more consistent results.

I have never used one of the track feeders that are available now, and
I don't see the need for a track feed. Could be that I am clueless about
some magic property they have.

I'm not clear on "why" either... haven't seen any that explains the
difference/benefits.

Get one of the universal mounting arms, easily adjustable six ways from
Sunday.

Are you referring to something different from what comes with the Delta
1/4 HP unit?

http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/stock-feeders

That's what I am calling a universal mount, it will allow
you to set just about anything.

basilisk