Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default power feeds

"basilisk" wrote in message

That is in my mind plenty of work to justify buying a really nice
heavy duty power feeder and with the need for production work
later on, something you want ever regret.

That is where I am in my thinking.

All the feeders I have used were either three or four wheel models,
with table saw and shaper work any number of wheels and hp will work
fine. Resawing and jointer work will benefit from having the longest
body, most wheels and as much horsepower as you want to invest in.

That is the kind of insight I was seeking....

One of the great benifits to power feeders is the fact that feather
boards, holdovers, holddowns and all such similar devices are
not needed, properly set the feeder will take care of all these
functions.

This is high on my list of reasons for pursuing power feeders... No matter
what I do on the shaper I cannot help but think that the consistency of
feeding the stock with electrons vs. with meat would lead to better and more
consistent results.

I have never used one of the track feeders that are available now, and I
don't see the need for a track feed. Could be that I am clueless about
some magic property they have.

I'm not clear on "why" either... haven't seen any that explains the
difference/benefits.

Get one of the universal mounting arms, easily adjustable six ways from
Sunday.

Are you referring to something different from what comes with the Delta 1/4
HP unit?

http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/stock-feeders

Everything is relative, how sharp everything is, speed at which you want
to work, cost of equipment etc. I don't think you'll find a chart that
factors in how fast you and a helper can comfortably feed and restack
the material. A good tablesaw, sharp blade, and almost any size
power feeder will keep you hustling handling material.

This could lead to additional purchases... e.g., stock tables that lower
from tool top height by the thickness of the stock with each completed piece
that is added. ;~)

Thanks!

John