Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sometimes short clamps can replace long ones.

On 10/11/2013 4:44 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 00:14:35 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
My experience is that the Cabinet Masters are built to take abuse and
still perform as expected. The Besseys need to be a bit pampered, the
Jets, for me, were a purchasing mistake, they are my last go to clamp in
my collection.

Thanks for the review. The main reason I asked is that I was
considering the purchase of some new bar clamps. The new Bessey's put
me off for some reason and I was looking for an excuse to sway me one
way or another. You've done that. Lee Valley Tools has discontinued
offering the Cabinet Masters for some reason, so I guess I'll have to
find them somewhere else.

Actually if you look at the picture that I posted again the front Bessy
has a chipped out spot on the right side plastic.

Anyway, you can some times find deals on the Cabinet Masters direct,

http://www.ponytools.com/index.php/jorgensen/bar-clamps

I have also deals, on occasion, on Amazon for sets of 4 clamps.

One last note. Although it is unlikely that you will find the original
older Cabinet Master clamps you should be aware that the internal metal
parts on the screw handle end were made out of aluminum. Almost with
out fail all of these have failed, the aluminum broke. BUT not to worry
Jorgensen through the Adjustable Clamp Company cheerfully replaced the
handle parts of the clamps immediately. They ship you the replacement
newer design, iron, screw handle assemblies for free. Typically the old
style aluminum ones were silver and the newer iron ones are painted black.