Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_5_] Windmill[_5_] is offline

Default Sat signal loss until reboot

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 04:01:29 GMT, Windmill wrote:

You say that screw-on F type connectors can be used with it.
Is there some special approved method of making the connection?
Maybe folding back the foil as well as the braid over the outer
insulation, instead of remving the foil and leaving only the braid as I
did, and then screwing a suitable-sized connector over that?

There may be something in one of Mr Wrights articles, I'd be
surprised if there wasn't:

http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/index.shtml

I need to have a look. Using a different PC.

I remove the foil fold back the braid evenly, trim the inner
insulation with a sharp blade soit's smooth, sqaure and projects
about 1 mm beyond the folded back braid. Screw on the connector until
the inner insulation is firmly against the flange in the connector.

That's roughly what I did. But the crappy coax I bought has just a few
strands of aluminium braid which makes me wonder about the quality of
the contact with the F plug body.

F-types outside need to be completely wrapped in self amalgamating
tape once mated, they are not damp proof let alone weather proof!

I used silicone rubber sealant on most of the connections, but there
were a couple where I didn't (because I needed to muck about with a
satellite meter aligning on the satellite, and thought I might need to
repeat the process).

However the setup, which worked initially (months ago), failed before
it rained, and has behaved oddly ever since. Right now it's been in a
working state for hours, but may fail during the next gale.

I lost my self-amalgamating tape (read: put it in a safe? place) but
now have more, so when I get the chance I'll use that on the new
interconnections I plan to make.

Going to have to find my birth certificate; the TV licencing people
claim to be unable to verify my age by contacting the DWP with my NI
number, and I don't want them on my top :-)

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m