Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bad U-joint?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:52:48 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:38:03 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:31:25 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 20:53:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 23:03:36 -0400,
wrote:
Had the rear U-Joint let go on the AeroScare on the way from Kitchener
to Winnipeg, via Michigan. I had the u-joint replaced by a shop while
I was out of the country in Burkina Faso for a month, knowing I had
the winnipeg trip coming up as soon as I got home, taking my daughter
to University. The mechanic who installed it didn't get the retainer
clip in right and it threw a cup just east of Flint, friday of the
Labour Day weekend. No tools in the truck - no shop able to do the
job - changed it laying on my back under the truck with a combination
of borrowed tools and a vice and hammer I bought at the parts store
where I bought the U-Joint.

I hope you asked for and got a full refund from the jerk who did that
to you. "Refund or lawsuit, what'll it be, sir?" big grin

The "jerk" was my kid brother - and yes, I got a full refund!!!

Good, but here's some advice:

Never [I repeat: -NEVER-] hire family or friends to do work for you.
You'll lose your ass or lose your friend, and neither is worth it.
I hope he understands the possible ramifications of screwing up
something so important. Someone could have been killed, including
you.

P.S: What's "burkina faso"? Is it contagious?

Like myself, my brother is a professional mechanic. He just sold
his shop last year. He knows. It was his mechanic that actually
installed it I think.

Passing the buck, eh? Still, working with family and friends is
dangerous. Just Say NO!

Burkina Faso is a landlocked country in West Africa, formerly known as
"Upper Volta", and Africa DOES seem to be contageous - either that or
inherited, as my daughter (yes, the one we were taking to Wininpeg)
has worked in and with Africa a lot since graduation.

In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.
-- Albert Camus