Posted to rec.woodworking

Default power feeds

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Has anyone come across an article that compares and contrasts
various power feeds across various applications? Of particular
interest is the use of power feeds on shapers (3 HP), table saws (3
HP), and also for use on large bandsaws (e.g., 36" 5 HP) for
resawing. I didn't find anything like this on the FWW or PWW sites
though Lonnie Bird's book on shapers discusses power feed use but in
generic terms...

Can't answer your question directly; however, some info that may be of
interest.

A few weeks ago saw an old tape of a "This Old House" program that
showed a
CNC controlled machining center that reminded me of a typical Warner &
Swasey Wiedeman CNC Turret Punch except instead of cutting metal it
was cutting wood.

Given what I saw, the day of the individual machine ranks right up
there with the dodo bird in a production operation.

The typical CNC machining center will have a turret containing at
least 90-135 separate tools and can easily eliminate routers, shapers
and most table saw functions.

This will show an old Warner & Swasey Wiedeman Model W-3050 CNC Turret
Punch in action.

http://tinyurl.com/mpzfeqx

Lew