Charlie Self

Default Gloat - 8" jointer up and running

A Womack notes:

Ah, yes, it was a concern. This jointer was made some 11 to 12 years
ago, never out of the crate. The professional line appears to be a few
notches above, even back then. Certainly the prices they charge are.
It's a very substantial piece of iron. My Starrett, albeight too short,
shows the tables to be flat and true. The fence is a heavy mother,
bolted to a heavier jib. There are mounting holes in the fence for an
auxilary taller to fence to installed, perhaps for large panel beveling.

A friend of mine has a newer version. Actually, it's the same version, about 4
years old instead of 11-12. No differences that I can see from your photo: the
newest model apaprently is a light gray, instead of black, but otherwise the
same. It is an excellent tool.

People who reflexively dismiss Craftsman tools sometimes miss out on some
excellent chances.

Being a 240 volt motor, the normal Sears HP manipulations seem absent.
They rated it at 1.5 horse with a 10amp draw on 240 volts according to
the motor label, Doree

Sears has dropped some of the manipulation in certain tool areas. The new line
of contractor's saws, for instance. There is some sensitivity to criticism
about non-existent horsepower within the marketing department now. That's a
nice reward for my bitching about it to them for a few years, telling them what
many of you guys think. The lab types still defend the ultra HP ratings because
under very special conditions, they can be reached. I think they're wrong to
use them because they will only be reached by the user of the machine as the
motor self-destructs.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken