Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sometimes short clamps can replace long ones.

On 10/10/13 2:42 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:29:10 -0500, -MIKE-
Even with proper filling & sanding and immaculate painting the filled
holes can show up after a season of expansion and contraction.

Feel like arguing today eh Mike? Ok.

Feeling passive aggressive?
First of all, in this reply, I'm simply providing facts based on
experience and knowledge gained from my 30yrs of woodworking. I
*thought* that was the intended purpose of this newsgroup-on-life-support.
Any arguing is inferred on your part, perhaps due to my previous
reply.... which leads to my second point.

Your first reply about breaking a pipe coupler when used as a wood clamp
was so ridiculously absurd that I felt it was worthy of a very sarcastic
retort. One of the problems in usenet is anyone can come in and make
ridiculous claims (dust collector explosion, etc.) and people can read
them and believe it. This is one reason I don't mind loudly calling
"BULL****" on these grossly exaggerated claims in the albeit naive hope
that I can stop them before they become the mythical wives tales of
tomorrow.

IF those set and filled nail hoes are not filled properly. I use wax
filler sticks that do not show your expansion and contraction as you
might have experienced. They come in various colours to suit your
application. I use a colour just a little darker than what my stain or
finish might be.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997

And, you should also know that I'm in Canada with summer and winter
where expansion and contraction is a regular occurrence.

Depends on the wood, the finish, etc, etc, etc.
If you bothered to read my reply instead of getting all offended, you'd
see I explicitly referred to painted surfaces, not stain.
You asked the question, "Was the edging painted or finished with
something else?" I was offering my advice for paint. I have yet to find
a paint that sticks to wax.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)