Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sometimes short clamps can replace long ones.

On 10/10/13 1:55 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 10/10/2013 2:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

It's just that there
are apparently ways to glue a hardwood edge onto a desktop
without
using
seven-foot long clamps.

"A couple of brads until the glue dries."

I did that for some shelf edging years back; finish nails set and
filled. Even at my modest level of woodworking, I wasn't that happy
with the inconspicuous (but visible) marks it left. I was thinking of
pocket screws. And I have discovered wedges since then as well.

Someone here said that since I used dowels I didn't really need
clamps at all. I don't know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't
have the confidence to try it.

With pocket screws, you don't need glue.

When I don't have enough clamps, I've used pocket screws as clamps to
hold thicker-than-usual solid wood edge banding, then taken the screws
out.
Technically, I could've used only the screws, but in this case, I was
using hidden hinges and shelf holes and some other attachments and
didn't want to risk finding a screw when drilling for those things.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--