Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Page[_2_] Clive Page[_2_] is offline

Default Hearing aids.

On 10/10/2013 19:20, Peter Crosland wrote:
A lot of shysters around. Get her referred by her GP to the local
audiology service. The NHS ones are quite good these days.

Yes, but getting one seems to take time, at least in some areas. A
couple of years ago an elderly relative of mine found it took about 6
months from GP referral to actually getting a test at the local
hospital, and then another month or so before the hearing aid was ready.

But just the other day I got a flyer from Messrs Specsavers saying that
they were now approved to do hearing tests and to prescribe hearing aids
on the NHS. I don't know how this works, but presumably you just get
your GP to refer you to the nearest branch. I assume their service
would be much faster. I've tried their eye-testing and
specs-prescribing service and can't say that I'm particularly
enthusiastic about them, but as a way of avoid a wait of many months it
seems worth giving it a go.

As others have said, the second hurdle is getting the elderly person to
actually wear the darned thing. That may take a few months, too.

--
Clive Page