Posted to rec.woodworking
MJ[_5_] MJ[_5_] is offline

Default Patternmaker's rasps

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:14:19 AM UTC-7, Swingman wrote:
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

MJ, I bought a #50 Nicholson rasp about 10yrs ago and it has

remained my "go to" rasp - inspite of having bought a more expensive

Did Nicholson sell out to theChinese? Don't know how they're made now, but

my 10+ year old Nicholson #50 still works just fine.

That's the problem. Lee Valley and a few other high-end tool catalogs dropped the Nicholson because of quality problems when Cooper switched to Mexico and Brazil (not China!) as places for their manufacture. However, there are some other places (many in fact) that continue to sell the Nicholsons. I will probably go ahead and order from one of them and look other suggestions. There are a couple of highly recommended rasp makers that are not hand cut, and don't cost more than the Nicholsons.

MJ