Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_16_] Stephen[_16_] is offline

Default Hearing aids.

On 10/10/2013 18:38, Michael Chare wrote:
I would like to persuade an elderly female relative to try a hearing aid.

Are either of these likely to be any use:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3508326444...84.m1436.l2648

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3009602479...84.m1436.l2649

There is an enormous price range for hearing aids. The more expensive
ones are moulded to your ear and can be programmed to match a persons
hearing defects.

Is there something much better than the above which would be worth trying?

DOn't bother with Ebay.

Get your relative down to the GP and ask for a referral to Audiology
and/or ENT.

Under the Modernisation of Hearing Aid Services (MHAS) programme, they
will test the relative's hearing on an audiometer, select a hearing aid,
program it up with her specific hearing loss, use a universal mould
fitting and she will go home the same day with a new pair of hearing aids.

It will be free and it will be adjusted to accommodate her specific
hearing loss.

How do I know all this? I was born profoundly deaf and am now 42 years
old.... I have seen how much audiology has changed over the years.