Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_2_] Dr.  Deb[_2_] is offline

Default Patternmaker's rasps

MJ wrote:

Folks,

I am need of a Patternmaker's rasp(s) as I'm trying to complete a

rocking
chair. I need to feather in the edges of the joints (arms to seat, legs

seat, legs to rockers).

I am looking at the Nicholson ones (#49 and #50), but I also read

that the
production quality of these particular rasps are not great.

Rather than spending upwards of $100 per rasp or more any

suggestions?

Thanks,

MJ

MJ, I bought a #50 Nicholson rasp about 10yrs ago and it has
remained my "go to" rasp - inspite of having bought a more expensive
"hand cut" rasp since. It cuts quickly and leaves a finish smooth
enough to go directly to 80 or 100 grit sandpaper.

While you are at it, get yourself a small brass brush from HF to clean
it with. Its not bad about loading up, but all rasps need to be cleaned
from time to time.

Deb