Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Patternmaker's rasps

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:17:18 PM UTC-5, MJ wrote:
Rather than spending upwards of $100 per rasp or more any suggestions? Thanks, MJ

These Nicholsons are $36 ea, (plus shipping = ?): http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=2778

25 yrs ago, I bought a Porter Cable 7" disc sander ($180), with a rubber "plate", for heavy sanding (24 & 36 grit discs) in those sorts of areas. It works great for those types of areas, especially when there's a lot to chew away. I've learned to "carve" with it and use it for many other tasks. I've only had to replace the brushes a few times. Don't know if today's sander would be of the same quality.

Additionally, for curved areas, I've made an assortment of rounded sanding blocks. The blocks not only fit the various curves, they are large enough & comfortable, to fit my hand.

Sonny