RemodGuy

Default Xtra tall bookcases - how?

Just wondering - if I want to skip the base cabinet approach - and make a 9'
tall bookcase, what are some of the techniques involved? How do you folks
get 9' of sides out of a 8' hunk o' plywood?

fabricated and installed floor to ceiling (9') wall to wall cherry
bookcases in a den this spring. built a 2x6 base to set each 8' unit
on. wrapped it in a cherry base we made. installed a valance backer
at ceiling. covered it in a cherry valance and added crown. looked
awesome. have pics. will try posting later.

building 9' units is risky. in 10+ years of
construction/remodeling/carpentry i have never seen a perfect ceiling
or floor. plus, you can't stand a 9' cabinet up in a room with 9'
ceilings.