Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:22:48 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 10:37:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 09:40:33 -0600, bud-- wrote:

On 10/6/2013 1:54 PM, Oren wrote:

I've stated earlier an SPD at the electric panel will not warranty a

sensitive device like a computer, television, etc.

SquareD says for their "best" service panel protector "electronic

equipment may need additional protection by installing plug-in

[protectors] at the point of use."

Correct. I bet westom will claim this fact is propaganda g

I have no doubt in my mind it's the product of SquareD company lawyers

You're unbelievable. It's been pointed out to you
that the use of plug-ins is consistent with recommendations
from the IEEE, NIST, industry. It's based on basic
physics. You haven't even read the IEEE guide we've directed
you too ten times now, where that physics is explained.
A guide written by degreed engineers,
expert in surge protection. Instead, you rely on nonsense
unsupported by anything other than your flapping gums.

Speaking of which, we're still waiting for the explanation of
how 6 ft of ordinary wire is effective surge protection. Does
the IEEE, NIST say that? Does Square D? Anyone? No, just some
buffoon that you heard at a computer club. And given your penchant
for learning that you've now demonstrated, who knows what the guy
actually even said vs what you think you heard. IF that guy is
right, that 6 ft of wire is effective surge protection, why can't
you find some references to back it up? It should be easy.

wanting to make sure they can point to it when someone's stuff gets

damaged. "Look, we warned you!!!! and you failed to have a Plug-in.

And now go sue the Plug-in people because they were the LAST line of

defense so if your product was damaged is was THEM not US."

Were you born yesterday???

No, but apparently you were. That advice is not
limited to plug-in surge protectors. You seem to have
the same fetish that WTom has. You're focused exclusively
on plug-in surge protectors. Those major companies like Square D
also sell similar surge protection devices that are used downstream,
inside a facility to protect equipment, that are not specifically
plug-ins. They may install in
an additional sub-panel, equipment rack, etc. They use the
same devices and work under the same conditions, ie no direct
connection to earth ground, that plug-in surge protectors
operate under. So, there goes the "pointing the finger at
someone else theory". And so does the theory that all that's
ever needed is protection at the point of building entry.
GE for example is on that list.
GE has been making all kinds of electrical gear for over
a hundred years. Their product line includes all types of
surge protection devices, whole house type, downstream devices
of various types, including actual plug-ins.

Even WTom gave the green light to Oren's question about having
a whole house surge protector at the panel and another surge
protection device installed on his outdoor AC compressorunit. He can't
explain that contradiction. How can the device on Oren's AC
be effective, but a plug-in cannot? The central claim of
WTom is that any surge protector is only effective if it has
a direct, short connection to earth ground. So, of course
he won't answer the question of how the one on Oren's AC
can work. Maybe you can. But your position is that he
doesn't need one on the AC compressor at all, as long as it
has 6 ft of wire connecting it, right?