Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bad U-joint?

"Erik" wrote in message
In article , "Snag"

wrote:

Ignoramus3720 wrote:
I have a problem that I noticed with my pick-up truck.

The problem is that at certain speeds, such as 40-45 MPH, I feel
vibration if I step on the gas pedal and try to accelerate.
What could it be?

From what you said I suspect it's wheel related. Out of balance
tires
often act up within certain speed 'bands'.

Erik

I had a puzzling speed-related vibration problem that turned out to be
a rusted-out upper shock mount in the front. It's out of sight behind
a flange on the spring mount so I only found it when I bumped the
shock and it moved. Other than a slight steering wheel shake at
certain speeds the truck handled normally.

The factory manual says when replace the rivets holding such things to
the frame with bolts, use Grade 8 one size larger.

jsw