Posted to alt.home.repair
croy croy is offline

Default What happens when an electrical motor dies?

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 15:22:17 -0700, Oren
wrote:

So you had no fire on the motor. By "unplugged", you mean a portable
unit? Long term, house swamp coolers are normally hard-wired in to the
house wiring.

It was a "built-in" unit, added sometime after the house was
built, by the previous owners. It was stuck in a hole they
cut in the side of the house (cutting right thru a diagonal
brace, no less). It had a typical appliance-type power cord
that plugged into the wall outlet. I had replaced the
service entrance panel and installed all new breakers, but
the wiring remained original.

I opted to replace it with a roof-mounted unit, hard-wired
with its own 20a circuit, with all new wire.

Now we'll see what it does to try to get me.

--
croy