Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default digital tape recorder?

I need to buy something that is
- cheap
- will record in solid state some kind of MP3 stream of about 3 hours
length or more
- that can be stuck on a disk later as a record of meetings.
- that is relatively unobtrusive - no not trying to bug! just don't want
a huge box bristling with dials that looks pretentious.

quality only need be good enough to be able top prepare transcriptions
by a competent audio typist and to clearly ID what was said.

Any recommendations?

I do NOT have a smart phone or any other 'gadget' that might be able to
do this already, nor do I want one.

'Fraid I can't recommend any specific kit - but you do need to consider
how viable the whole thing is.

I attend a regular meeting of 8 people where the 'secretary' leaves his
phone on the table to record everything, and subsequently uses the
recording as the basis for writing the minutes - without taking any
written notes in the meeting.

The resulting minutes are *crap* because the recording simply indicates
what was *said* but can't distinguish between important stuff and casual
'asides' - with the result that the minutes often fail to correctly
reflect what was actually agreed!
--
Cheers,
Roger