Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Neighbors fence on my property.

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 16:30:38 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Still no action from the neighbor so I was able to hire a contractor to move the fence.

Currently I'm out the $2500 cost of the attorney and $1000 to have the fence moved but
I have a lien against the neighbors house so when he sells I'll get my
money, plus interest.

How do you know the lien will be honored? I'm not doubting you since I
don't know how these things work, so I'm simply asking.

You've only mentioned letters from a lawyer. What other actions were taken
that makes the lien valid/enforceable or whatever legal term applies in
this situation?

"A mechanic's lien is a security interest in the title to property for
the benefit of those who have supplied labor or materials that improve
the property."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanic%27s_lien

A mechanic's lien, the process, etc., will vary by state law. So does
the interest amount allowed.

I'd still like to know the details of the lien. The way I read Ralph's
post, he (Ralph) paid an attorney to write letters and a contractor to move
the fence.

Can Ralph initiate a "mechanic's lien" even if he did not supply the labor
or materials? Would the attorney fees be covered under a mechanic's lien?