Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default hand tapping with roll taps

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:02:08 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

snip
Do you disconnect the quill spring when using a drill press for tapping?
How hard is it to do that and then reconnect it when done?

snip

First item: It is critical that you use a tap wrench to
minimize side loading and breaking the tap. Never use a
crescent wrench, vise grips, etc.
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/14576/

I never disconnect the quill spring, the quill clamp should
be adequate. There are several different ways to tap in the
drill press or mill.

First is to simply chuck the tap in the drill chuck and
start the tap one or two turns, loosen the chuck and
retract, and use a tap wrench to finish tapping. The
problem here is the tap shank is hard and the drill chuck
will tend to slip. This is compounded because when you
grasp the drill chuck to turn it, you tend to open it. Some
people make a pin or hook wrench to fit into the tightening
holes for the chuck key (which the higher quality Albrecht
type chucks don't have). While this is a good expedient for
smaller taps and occasional use, the guided tap wrench is a
much better option as it minimizes any side loading on the
tap, and insures the tap remains perpendicular. This can be
difficult when tapping into a curved or slanted surface, for
example mounting a scope. (it can be helpful to lightly
machine a counter bore into the workpiece with a flat
bottomed drill or end mill to make the surface flat) In use
a guide rod which fits closely into the tap wrench is
clamped in the drill chuck, and the tap is clamped on the
flats in the tap wrench. The tap wrench rotates/slides
freely on the guide rod.

As mentioned I bought both sizes of the WTTOOL tap guide and
these have worked well for me. I don't know if the ones
currently sold are the same but they look like it.
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/22122/

Another type is a spring loaded guide that centers the tap.
Almost all taps have either a center or a cone on the end
which will fit into the guide, and most of the fancier
t-handle tap wrenches* have a center hole in line with the
tap axis. Many of these guides have a reversible pin with a
point on one end and a center on the other. These are used
to start the tap straight, and are driven with a regular tap
wrench.
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...hopping=t rue
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro..._shopping=true
One additional use I have found for these guides is with a
length of 3/16 drill rod with a center [regular 60 degree
seems to work as good as a bell center] in one end and a
sharp point on the other for use as a pump staff [with a
drop indicator] to accurately locate work on the lathe face
plate from layout prick [not center] punch marks.
*
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...%28Starrett%29

The items shown are only examples and the other mill supply
houses should carry.

Hope this was of help.